The next day two boys who I know to be age 12 and 14, show up on my front porch asking if The Girl, who I know to be 8, can come play. I explain to them she at the gymnasium until 8 but if she eats her dinner fast and there is time I will send her to play. A half a dozen differences in race, religion, sex, gender, skin, size, and age are no match for the playground. They are much smarter than their parents and their grandparents and their great grandparents, they know what matters and what doesn’t: Ability, good sportsmanship, and safety in numbers. Let the children go out to play.
Labels
a little bit of mom talk
(63)
a touch of unschool
(66)
art
(35)
arts and crafts
(72)
earth science (geography)
(8)
eye-ability
(51)
family life
(201)
family recipes
(2)
farm life
(42)
field trips
(145)
geography
(28)
growing grown-ups
(116)
gym life
(144)
history
(53)
holiday magic
(69)
language arts
(61)
literature
(115)
lunch line
(2)
math
(62)
mixed media learning
(5)
nature
(113)
news from the mom bench
(36)
poetry notes
(5)
riding
(16)
science
(99)
self education
(44)
side notes
(5)
slow Saturday cooking
(10)
slow life
(146)
tools of the trade
(72)
weather topics
(7)
welcome
(4)
you are here
(57)
Tuesday, August 21, 2012
colors
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thank you.
ReplyDeleteMisty, this is stunning. Beautiful writing, beautiful girl, beautiful thoughts, beautiful kids.
ReplyDelete