Wednesday, February 19, 2014

well...if it wasn't broken then it is now!

Where do I even start this story?  Perhaps Friday when Boo smashed her toe before gym then went on to have a fantastic practice, a full active & happy weekend.  Followed by a nice practice on Monday and most of Tuesday.  Turns out on her first event on Tuesday night she "stubbed" her smashed toe doing her round-off dismount from beam.  She says looking back she thought nothing of it really.  It hurt but so what?  I certainly didn't know anything had happened and neither did her coaches.


 So this morning when she said out of the blue, "I'm trying to decide if I am going to gym or not."  I had no idea what she was talking about.  "My toe really hurts."  She complained. And that was when I first saw the dark ring around her joint and the increase in swelling.  



An ER visit complete with a set of x-rays showing us a open fracture in the growth plate of her big toe (our pediatrician's office doesn't have x-ray capabilities so he refers to the children's hospital).  With an open fracture there is a higher possibility of infection. The surgeon was most concerned about the blood streak under her nail as the first indication of trouble brewing but honestly we don't know if she fractured it Friday when the blood appeared or if she broke it last night. Remember that issue with a kid who under reports pain it can cause big trouble in trying to sort things out!   


*The fracture can be seen on the right side of the toe in the first 'open' space.  That is the growth plate and it should be evenly spaced along that line.  The triangle notch out of the right end is not normal.  That is the fracture.  The larger next 'open' space down is normal.* 

I had the craziest discussion I have ever had and I realized that being the parent of a kid with ability is just as hard as being the parent of a kid with a disability. They count on you to advocate for them even when you would rather not go to bad mommy prison.  

"I understand the orthopedic surgeon said for her to stay off it but did he happen to give any good ways for taping it for not staying off it?" 
>Yes, tape her to the sofa< 
"And do tell me...I understand the issues with the growth plate but in the big toe does it really matter?"
>pain is what matters<
>the toe being artificially small doesn't matter but if it comes to the plate not closing that will<

"If we did keep her off it how long would it be for?" 
>the surgeon's note says to follow up in fracture clinic in 2 weeks if there is still pain so that can be interpenetrated to say they expect her to heal or be notably improved in 2 weeks<


The Doctor was excellent with me and my gym mom questions working as a go between with the surgeon who was quite a bit less understanding.  I think Boo helped out a lot to by being able to communicate clearly and competently with the staff. I feel the doctor understood that pretending a kid like Boo is going to sack 2 weeks of practice and meets over a toe is sheer fantasy.  I know because it is sort of my fantasy but in the end I gave Boo & her coaches the finally say with my blessing to go for it... but to be careful, & don't pound on it, and don't vault and if you do vault don't do it too much and watch your landings, maybe just don't land and don't....>I wish I could say lol here but, sigh...<     

I think it is safe to say this season is throwing a lot of curve-balls Boo's way but her coach just posted this on fb and I think it is a fitting way to go out today:


7 comments:

  1. Poor Boo! I hope she heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Boo.......you must be one brave girl! I'm surprised they didn't put a moon boot on the foot.....miss rosemary only buckled the bones last year and they had her on one! Glad she can still do her beloved gym, it would be so sever stating if she couldn't. Get well soon Boo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did get a 'boot' (more like a strange sandal) to wear for when she is not in at practice or the stables. She seems to like wearing because it really helps her with keeping pressure off the toe. So far so good.

      Delete
  3. It will help a lot! That was the idea of this huge black thing they put on Rosemary. Fingers crossed these weeks go fast for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So theres no surgery to correct it it just heals over time??? I did the same thing about 2 3 weeks ago and the bone still isnt down but i can still run and cut on it without any pain really just gets stuff on me walkin sometimes barefoot but thats about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So theres no surgery to correct it it just heals over time??? I did the same thing about 2 3 weeks ago and the bone still isnt down but i can still run and cut on it without any pain really just gets stuff on me walkin sometimes barefoot but thats about it.

    ReplyDelete