Thursday, November 14, 2013

first and second chances



As a Mom-Blogger I had a great plan for all the words I would add while posting darling riding photos of my Boo.  All the talk about the reading and studying we did, the evolution of horses, the different breeds, saddles, etc. As it turns out all the hard science pales in comparison to the real life and love lessons we are learning.


  
See, this isn’t just a kid getting to ride a horse.  This is great kid who fights hard for all she has and does, who is getting the opportunity of lifetime because of the graciousness of another human being.  And that isn’t just any horse, that is a rescue horse getting a second chance at life and love.  A chance to learn trust in comfort and kindness, and forget about starvation and isolation.



The beautiful woman giving my child and these horse, 7 in all, these chances is Becky, my first cousin.  We haven’t been particularly close but through facebook we just recently reconnected.  And we have a lot more in common than we both first realized.  


There is a bit of 'magic' to this story too...the same hour I made a desperate-silly-mom, illogical but heart felt promise that I would somehow find a way to get Boo a chance to ride a horse Beck messaged me the offer for Boo to come out to her and learn.  At the time I was stunned, overloaded with gratitude but not quite as stunned and in awe as I am after watching Becky, Boo, and the horse work together. It was proof that love is a verb. It is an action.  It is proof that kindness and compassion have the power to change lives.     




You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”  ~John Bunyan~ 


"A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal." 
~Steve Maraboli~

  
Thank you, Becky! 
[I do believe the two of them would follow you anywhere.]


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Misty, what a great opportunity for you both xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't is truly amazing, that love between a kiddo and "her" horse. I feel it every time my kiddo gets in the saddle. Thanks for saying it in a way I never could!

    ReplyDelete