Tuesday, June 25, 2013

one small step for Boo-kind

It looks like Boo will not be competing gymnastics this fall.


There has been a change of plans.


It is complex to explain but in the world of gymnastics a major overhaul has occurred.  A new number system put in place.  Under the new system Levels 1-5 are the compulsory levels, that is where all the routines and skills are the same for everybody nationwide and Levels 6-10 are the optionals levels, the big leagues so to speak.


Under the old system Boo was a Level 6 compulsory gymnast under the new level assignments her and her teammates would have transitioned into & competed as (new) Level 5 compulsory gymnasts in the 2013 fall season, same skill level different name.  In fact, learning the new level 5 routines is already well underway.


But don't look for her there among the 5's Boo has been asked to take a little bit bigger of a step forward to the new Level 6.  It takes her out of the world of compulsory gymnastics and into optionals.


For us it means it is time to find sponsors. So if you know anyone interested in sponsoring an amazing gymnast who is defying the odds please let us know!!!


Because she has never competed old Level 6 having only started back in February she & any mates moving with her who have not competed 6 will be required to 'score out'. They must learn the old routines in time for a one time super meet this summer TBA where the whole objective is hit above a minimal score requirement to move on.


*As I write this I don’t know yet where some of her best friends and teammates have been placed nor can they know about Boo’s offer to move forward. Until all the families have been given or explained their options/placements and made their decisions the families who have intertwined our lives have to keep quiet. It is a lot to ask of us and of our gymnasts. 
This post I held for a bit, and although not all meetings have been had some of the placements are out in the open so I feel justified in announcing ours, fair is fair. The secret part I could have lived without any way. 
Yet, some of my best friends are in limbo waiting for their meetings while rumors swirl and there is nothing they can do but wait and hope their gymnasts are handling the uproar of this sudden offer we were told was not a possibility for our gymnasts back when the new levels were announced.*  

These pic's are of 6 yr old Boo, the youngest member of the Competitive Rock Climbing Team!  Climbing was the sport she walked away from to become a gymnast.

The secrecy & the way it was announced/handled has dampened the joy a bit but if you could have seen the look on Boo's face when the offer was made... I thought I had the little turncoat convinced skipping ahead was not a good idea. Turns out I was only fooling myself.  She nearly floated out of her seat she was so happy! Of course I have already had a second meeting asking if we have to take the placement, might we stay in 5? Are you sure she is ready?  I was asked to trust her coaches; that I can do!   


Despite my concerns about moving up, and my worry for the other families we know & love, in a way I feel like I can breathe now.  This looming fall season will come and go with out us.  We may get to camp.  Celebrate Boo’s 10th birthday in style.  Accept invitations for play-dates and attend the last of the summer barbecues.  A small stay of execution (lol) because The Optionals’ Competition Season begins sometime in late winter early spring 2014.


Good Luck Boo-Bear you are in the big leagues now!





4 comments:

  1. Misty. It'll be okay. we'll be muddling along with you. This journey of the gymnasts will always be intense, unfair, exhilerating and emotional. Life, right? At least they are in it 100% For that I am proud and a little bit relieved. I always knew Sophie was gonna need something as big as her passion. I'm glad she has found somewhere to direct her fire. I'm glad she has Beach, and I have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Group W Bench forever :)

      Delete
  2. that's awesome! My daughter is 6 and is in the new level 3. We haven't even started learning the new routines yet, and as you know, we compete at the end of August. Oh well. I bet you are excited to not compete then. Your daughter will have plenty of time to get ready. I know what you mean about sponsors. We just had to pay 175$ for a leotard!!!!!! I never knew leos could be that much!!!!! We are going in to debt for my little one....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan,
      How I miss Level 3!!! Be glad you have new routines that old music was almost as bad as shelling out $175 leo (lol). Good luck to your gymnast. We will be watching for news on her!

      Delete