Thursday, April 4, 2013

let me introduce you to Poe


I've been threatening the introduction of Edgar Allan Poe for a long time.  It started when Boo was 5 and I read her The Raven, sort of a preview to the great dark works which ahead.  Not only is my love of real literature and her clear reaction (and preference) to masterful stories, poetry, and such, it is my own discovery of Poe at an early age which draws me to him.   
 This is a hard complement to give because it is a touch backhanded, although not my intent.  Growing up we didn't have a lot of exposure to good literature with one big exception: my mother loved Poe.  We were often read to but I would say it was mostly pop culture and cheap fiction.  My father is an expert/genius with history and his older brother, my uncle, with science.  I say this because I don't want to give the false impression that we had nothing intellectual to feed on, we did but not equal in all areas.  

When I was in the 9th grade taking Latin in the Advanced Placement English classroom I got my hands on a reading list of 100 course approved books one of the English students had left behind.  On my own I read through the entire list minus 3: Little Women and Wuthering Heights both I stopped reading, both books I hated and still dislike, the third Grapes of Wrath which I choked down skipping whole paragraphs at a time (hard to call what happened reading) vowing to never read Steinbeck again!  Of course Cannery Row changed that option rather quickly. The whole point being I remember the Tell-Tale Heart and The Raven as read to me by my motherFrom Great Books at school, an extra circular reading group, I remember To Build a Fire by Jack London and The Veldt by Ray Bradbury.  I remember stumbling upon Animal Farm in the school library. 


 There are a lot of good and even books out there, new classics being born every day.  What I want for my child is for her to have a chance to find the deep love hiding within the stories of old masters so we will spend our summer reading the classics and studying the lives of the men and women who created them.

I think I have said this before but 9 yrs old is a very good age.  
  
Link to Bio Edgar Allan Poe [click here

No comments:

Post a Comment