Friday, February 3, 2012

reading now: the best book ever & more

The Graveyard Book - HardcoverIt has been a long time since I have given a book the title of 'best ever' but Neil Gainman's The Graveyard Book is just that.  And not only as Children's Literature, I mean up there with The Name of the Rose by Umbeto Eco & Cannery Row by Steinbeck.  I mentioned this book in passing but cannot walk away from it so easily.  I think it is a must read, so who should read it?  Well, we found it on the NPR Backseat Book Club. I would say If your children read or happily sat through any of the Harry Potter Books or Series of Unfortunate Events then they might really enjoy this one. I should note Neil Gainman is the also the author of Coraline. For an adult reader if you read The Book Thief by Zusak & loved it you will love this book too!    




Another great read worth mentioning: 
 The Inventions of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick
(now a movie) 
The book is spectacular. Here is a great net link.

Books currently on the coffee table are:

Survival in the Storm: The Dust Bowl Diary of Grace Edwards, Dalhart, Texas 1935 (Dear America Series)

2 comments:

  1. I was going to ask you about he Graveyard Book, It is at the top of our to read soon books. Looks like it might be next. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love book recommendations! And I love that our library has an awesome website that lets me reserve and request books from the comfort of my couch:)
    We particularly love audio books in our house. We are currently listening to the Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke.

    ReplyDelete