Tuesday, January 24, 2012

for the love of reading whole

I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.  ~Anna Quindlen, New York Times, 7 August 1991

Our home school was born from a blend of Contemporary Secular Classical Education and Core Curriculum.  Those days are long gone.  We line up with the ranks of unschoolers now, not the altered meaning but unschooling as defined by John Holt.  ~To each their own. I do however have one soap box issue and it stems from Classical Education: using whole original sources whenever possible.  I came across these hard bound Readers in a second hand store.  They had passed down from Our Lady of Lords, a very respectable private school in town.  What I love is the use of whole literature.  The reading is comprised of stand alone children's' books and not those fake stories built around word families, what I would call un-literature. 
Links for Reading k-6 with Internet activities:

No comments:

Post a Comment